Toys for Teens campaign a win for everyone

Mrs. Westhoff’s 1st period IB Spanish class celebrates its reward for donating the most items to the Toys for Teens campaign.  Along with Mrs. Westhoff’s class, Mr. Henry’s Alt. Ed. class tied for first place, and were given cookies by Santa (Mr. Gilchrist) and his No. 1 Elf (Mr. Fitzpatrick).

Mrs. Westhoff’s 1st period IB Spanish class celebrates its reward for donating the most items to the Toys for Teens campaign. Along with Mrs. Westhoff’s class, Mr. Henry’s Alt. Ed. class tied for first place, and were given cookies by Santa (Mr. Gilchrist) and his No. 1 Elf (Mr. Fitzpatrick).

by McKenzie Ely, News

In honor of the upcoming holiday, Spring Lake High School has gotten into the spirit of giving- and maybe even a little bit of receiving- with the Interact Club’s annual Toys for Teens school-wide drive.

The drive consists of a competition among the first hour classes, where the students attempt to donate the highest number of toys.

Santa and his elf deliver Christmas cheer to the Toys for Teens winners.

A Christmas themed box was placed in the classroom of every teacher at the high school by Interact Club members, and it was left to be filled with toys until Wednesday, December 6.

The boxes were then collected, the toys counted, and the winners were determined.

This year’s program, however, had several slight twists compared to previous years’ drives. To start, the two first hour classes with the most toys would receive a visit from Mr. Gilchrist and Mr. Fitzpatrick, dressed as Santa and an elf, respectively.

As if that wasn’t enough, they would also get milk and cookies to start off their mornings.

As well as this change in reward, the final destination and nature of the toys was altered slightly. Instead of the classic, “Toys for Tots” drive, the fundraiser became “Toys for Teens,” in an effort to expand the age range of presents to those in need.

The drive only ran for a week and a half this year, and started off slowly, with barely 25 toys approaching the end of the first week.

However, the school certainly kicked it into high gear during the last half of the project, multiplying that amount almost 28 times.

This year, the high school finished with nearly 700 toys to donate to WZZM for the project. Mrs. Westhoff’s class finished in first place and Mr. Henry in Alternative Ed finished in second. Santa and his elf gave their classes a visit last Friday to finish off the competition.

Annie Cooper, a junior who participated in the competition, called the drive, “such a great cause. The teens,” she said, “are usually overlooked, so it’s great that our student body could come together and bring so many toys.”

Whether the Interact project was done for a prize or incentive or not, it was very fulfilling, both to the students and those who will receive the toys.