Girls’ baskeball dominates Fruitport for first win of season

Spring Lake’s Jenna Core (10) pulls up for two against Fruitport while junior Abbi Perkins (33) gets position for a rebound.

by Jenna Core, Sports

The Spring Lake girls’ varsity basketball team picked up their first win Friday night against rival Fruitport Trojans. The Lakers started off their season with three tough games against class A schools Ottawa Hills, Caledonia, and Rockford.

So far, the tough competition has helped to improve the game play of the Lakers, and their improvement showed against Fruitport.

Senior Madelyn Zenas (11) snares a rebound as sophomore Phoebe Saunders (22) looks on.
Photo: Josh VanDyke, Grand Haven Tribune

Even though the Trojans were the first to score in the game with a three-pointer, the Lakers soon took the lead and never looked back, ending the first quarter with a 12-3 lead and finishing the first half with a 27-7 lead against the Trojans.

After a slow start to the third quarter, the Lakers still managed to maintain their dominant lead, holding a 36-13 advantage heading into the fourth quarter.

The Lakers finished the game with strong defense from all players, holding the Trojans to just two points in the fourth quarter, ending the game with a 45-15 Laker victory.

“Beating Fruitport is always a big win. It being our first made it that much better. We have improved every game so we are on track to where we want to be,” Coach Cavin Mohrhardt said about the Lakers’ first victory of the season.

All of the Lakers contributed with strong defense and in addition, eight of the eleven Lakers scored in the game.

Leading the way for the Lakers was sophomore Abbi Perkins with 11 points, while junior Madeline Zenas, senior Linsey Paggeot, and junior Jenna Core each added 8, 7, and 6 points, respectively.

Senior Madelyn Nelson, senior Kayli Sneller, and sophomore Phoebe Saunders added 4 points each, while senior Rebekah VanDeWeg chipped in with 1 point. The Lakers dominated the boards with Madeline Zenas and Abbi Perkins pulling down 9 rebounds apiece, while Jenna Core pulled down 6.

The 1-3 Lakers take on the Shelby Tigers December 19, at Shelby High School, and end the 2017 calendar year with a home game against the Reeths Puffer Rockets on December 22.

Coach Mohrhardt commented that, in order to stay competitive with their upcoming opponents, “We need to improve on our passing and turnovers if we are to be competitive in the next few games and the league.”

The Lakers start conference play at the beginning of the new year on January 5, against last year’s OK Blue Conference champions, Grand Rapids Catholic Central.