Varsity softball completes sweep of Calvin Christian

Lauren Somers takes a cut in a game earlier this season.  Photo: Grand Haven Tribune

Lauren Somers takes a cut in a game earlier this season. Photo: Grand Haven Tribune

by Jenna Core, Sports

Spring Lake varsity softball was tested last Friday against Division III state ranked Calvin Christian, entering extra innings in the first game. The Lakers came out with a clutch win in the eighth inning, scoring two runs to take the lead.

Sophomore pitcher Leah Vaughan closed out for the Lakers in the bottom of the eighth, allowing no runs and coming away with the 5-3 victory. The bats woke up for the Lakers in the second game, scoring 15 runs, while junior pitcher Lauren Somers got the win and allowed only three runs in the five inning mercy.

In game one, the Lakers won 5-3 in eight innings. Vaughan came away with the win, striking out 11 batters and giving up 6 hits. The Lakers were the first on the board, until the Squires of Calvin Christian hit a 2-run homer to take a 2-1 lead.

The Lakers added two more runs in the top of the sixth, while the Squires came back in the bottom of the seventh, scoring one to send the game to extra innings. The Lakers scored two runs in the top of the eighth and held the Squires scoreless. The Lakers were led by juniors Lauren Hellman and Madelyn Nelson, while sophomores Molly Poole and Leah Vaughan each added two hits.

In game two, the Lakers came away with a 15-3 five inning mercy, led by pitcher Lauren Somers. The Lakers scored early and often, plating four runs in the first inning, one in the second, seven in the third, two in the fourth, and one run in the fifth. The Squires scored all three of their runs in the third inning. Nelson, junior Linsey Paggeot, and senior Ann Marie Galloway added three hits apiece, while Somers and sophomore Jenna Core each added two.

“Winning the battle between two state ranked teams I think sends a message to the rest of West Michigan that the Lakers are for real,” Coach Bill Core said about his team, which is currently ranked #8 in Division 2 and undefeated in the OK Blue Conference. After getting the two wins against Calvin Christian, the Lakers improve their record to 12-2.

Core added, “Even though the pitching was not as strong in game 2 for Calvin Christian, we hit throughout the lineup with contagious confidence.” Overall, the Lakers had a combined 25 hits in the two games.

Next week the Lakers will face the Coopersville Broncos with a home doubleheader on May 9, and will follow up with a single game at Coopersville on Thursday, May 11.