Marthe Georgi enjoys her season of American basketball

Marthe Georgi (33) goes after a loose ball against Muskegon heights in a game earlier this season.

by Jenna Core, Sports

“I was so scared!” That’s what Spring Lake High School German Exchange student Marthe Georgi said about her first time in a varsity basketball game. “Trying to steal the basketball from the opponent and handling the ball confidently was always a challenge for me. But I can’t think of one game where I didn’t go on and off the court without a smile on my face.” Marthe can do many things, but playing basketball has been a first for her.

Back in Germany, Marthe had a passion for acrobatics. “It was a big part of my life for eleven years. My biggest achievement was to be able to go the German championship, which my two partners and I won three times.” When Marthe was 14 years old, her partners had graduated and were no longer eligible to compete. Soon after, Marthe had bad back problems and had to quit. “Since then, I sometimes went with my sister to a running club.” In the fall, Marthe ran Cross Country, and in the spring she plans to run track. Marthe is thinking about trying the 200m, 400m, and high jump. “I don’t really know how to do high jump, but I hope I’ll find out.”

Marthe’s love for new things seems to be unlimited. Running Cross Country in the fall definitely helped Marthe to be in good shape for basketball season. Even though Marthe’s time on the court was limited, she still created a love for the game. “I’m definitely glad that I tried out. This team is such an amazing group of girls and I made some good friends. I also have to thank Coach Mo a lot, who let me be part of the varsity team, even if you can count on one hand how many times I’ve touched a basketball in my entire life. I’m very glad that I had the opportunity to have him as my coach.”

Marthe has tried a little bit of everything this school year. “I took fitness, English, history, cooking, Psychology, Astronomy, photography, Math, and Spanish. I just started learning Spanish at Spring Lake because my school in Germany doesn’t offer any Spanish classes and I really want to travel around South America after I graduate in Germany.” Marthe also plays the saxophone and was happy she was able to be in the school band, because her school in Germany doesn’t have a band at all.

Believe it or not, Marthe Georgi has another unique thing about her. She’s a vegetarian! The biggest differences for her from Germany to the United States have been the people, school, and the food. “People here in America are much more communicative and smile more than in Germany. It’s so much easier to eat healthy in Germany though, and it’s so much easier to be a vegetarian. I also really like all the school sports and school spirit in the United States.”

Coming to the United States has definitely been an experience Marthe won’t forget. “I’m very excited for everything that will come during my last months of my time here. I can’t believe I already have to leave in three months and I wish I could live every single moment one more time.” Marthe Georgi will long be remembered by both her teammates and her classmates as always trying new things out of her comfort zone.