Laker baseball goes 0-2 at Mike Bernard Tournament

T.J. Cunningham tosses to first in Saturday's Mike Bernard Tournament.  Photo:  Grand Haven Tribune

T.J. Cunningham tosses to first in Saturday's Mike Bernard Tournament. Photo: Grand Haven Tribune

by CJ Saxe, Sports

During a cold Saturday afternoon, the Spring Lake Lakers varsity baseball team hosted the Mike Bernard Memorial baseball tournament. Mike Bernard lost his battle with cancer 13 years ago. He was a large part of Laker athletics, mostly baseball and softball, where he announced the games and took care of the fields.

Every year the Lakers host a tournament in his honor. The festivities got started with his grandchildren throwing out the first pitch before the Lakers took on the Golden Bears from St. Joseph.
The tournament featured three teams, the Lakers, St. Joseph, and rival Fruitport.

In the first matchup of the afternoon the Lakers took on St. Joseph. Both teams’ offenses struggled to get going early, and the game appeared to be a defensive battle. Freshman Isaiah Lindsey started on the mound for the Lakers. In the fourth inning the Golden Bears got on the scoreboard, putting up six runs against the Lakers.

Spring Lake continued to battle, however, putting up two runs in the fifth, but the Bears’ offense stayed hot, tallying another run in the sixth and another in the seventh. The Lakers made it interesting by scoring three times in the seventh inning before falling just short of tying the game and losing 8-5.

Isaiah Lindsey said after the game, “I believe the rough inning started before that actual inning. I need to prepare better physically and mentally against better opponents. But for that inning, all of my pitches were up in the zone, making it easier for the batter to put the ball in play. I will continue to get better to give the team a chance to win. It’s my job, too.”

Junior Griffin Lorimer is ruled safe at the plate in a game earlier this season.

In the second game of the day, St. Joseph took on the Fruitport Trojans in a pitching duel. Former Laker Jeremiah Bosse started on the mound for the Trojans. Bosse gave up one run over six innings, which proved to be pivotal with the Golden Bears defeating Fruitport 1-0. With the win St. Joseph took home the trophy and won the Mike Bernard tournament.

For the consolation game of the afternoon, the Spring Lake Lakers took on rival Fruitport Trojans. Starting for the Lakers was sophomore Mason Holmes. Holmes struggled to find the strike zone early, walking four batters and giving up four runs. Junior David Rumptz replaced Holmes on the mound, pitching a solid 4 innings.

Entering the fifth inning, senior Nolan Sandberg entered the game to pitch for the Lakers. Sandberg pitched 2 innings, giving up one run in the losing effort. The Lakers lost the game 7-3 to their rival.

The Lakers return to action with back-to-back contests against Coopersville on May 9 and May 11.