Marching Band caps off long day with victory at GH competition

by Thomas Zambiasi, News

On Saturday, September 24, the Spring Lake High School Marching Band competed in two marching competitions at Kenowa Hills High School and Grand Haven High School. The band performed their 2016 show, “Music of the Night” for fans and judges alike, treating them to the sounds of “All Night Long” by Lionel Richie, “Nights in White Satin” by The Moody Blues, “Late in the Evening” by Paul Simon, and “The Music of the Night” from Andrew Lloyd Webber’s hit musical, “The Phantom of the Opera.”

The Lakers placed second in Class B that afternoon at Kenowa Hills, scoring a close 79.1 to winner Ionia’s 79.7. Unfazed, the band went on to win Class B that night in Grand Haven, scoring about two and a half points over second place Comstock Park with a 79.5. In addition, the SLHS drumline and colorguard each scored 2nd in Class B at both shows.

Starting at 10:00 that morning, the band rehearsed on the fields behind the high school to work on their show before they left. In constant pursuit of a perfection, the band repped multiple portions of their show to make sure that all members knew where they were going on the field.

After one last run-through, the band members donned their uniforms and hit the road. The band performed in the early afternoon to round out the Class B bands. Senior drum major Faulkner Bodbyl-Mast felt “really good about the performance.” Having won every competition for the past two seasons, many band members were slightly shocked. Upon hearing the results, Bodbyl-Mast noted that “upperclassmen (including myself) were down and surprised with the result, but grew to accept it…and revitalized with pizza.”

After recharging at the school with a quick dinner break, the Lakers hopped right back on the busses and traveled just a short ways down the road to Grand Haven.  Being the closest show to Spring Lake, the band got a warm welcome as the drum majors saluted and were cheered on by the home crowd all the way through their field exit.

Center snare Micah Prior thought that,“the energy was better…there was a lot of hype from the battery, especially me, for the GH show and the rest of the season.” While the win that night was a satisfying end to a long day, the Lakers are not about to rest.

With two competitions remaining in the season, the SLHS Marching Band will be working as hard as ever. Bodbyl-Mast adds that, “our goal is to see the full potential that this very fine ensemble has to offer.” Prior adds that, as the show comes to its final form, he hopes, “that we really create something that everyone remembers for a long time.” The marching band performs next on Saturday, October 7, at 7:30 at the Allendale Invitational at Allendale High School.